Book Review: Mindwalker by A.J.Steiger

Friday, December 18, 2015

I've just finished a fairly new book called Mindwalker by upcoming American author A.J.Steiger and I'm obsessed, I cannot wait until next year when the follow up book is released.

Mindwalker is a science fiction, dystopian novel with a difference. I don't know about anyone else I've started to steer clear of dystopian novel as I'm finding they're all merging into the same type of narrative. Teenagers in a future with some sort of separation system and a hidden violence or secret of some sort. Mindwalker is different. It's got something about that made me really stop and worry about which way our future technology is heading. So believable it's a little bit frightening to even think about.
Lain Walker is seventeen and lives in a future (not too far away) with technology that can literally change the way we think. Lain is a mindwalker, on the way to following in her fathers footsteps of being able to change people for the better...or is it all just a lie? Mindwalkers have the ability to explore and experience the memories of their clients and then simply take them away so they can't remember. Everything changes when she meets the ambiguous Steven. Everything Lain thought she knew begins to crumble, it's her choices now that matter.
First of all WOW. I loved this book. I'm just so for such a unique new take on dystopian fiction! Lain is a pioneer in my opinion, she knows that what she does can help people but she knows it can be viciously harmful if not so much it ends up in the wrong hands just if it's misused for the wrong or selfish purposes. She's such a fighter, like a strong female protagonist; she's not had the harshest of lives (to be fair she sounds pretty privileged) yet she's a pivotal example of labelling. Everyone assumes she's got such a good life, works hard, good grades, type 1, career sorted. Except no one considers that poor Lain is normal and has major inner demons.
Steven. Eye description makes me love him alone, the amount of times his eyes have been said to shield fear yet so such passion or conceal a vulnerability. His smirk, laugh, hair- the hair reminded slightly reminded me of Jace in TMI and my obsession for Jace is unreal it's fictional love.
Imagine a world where our memories could be wiped. We'd be blank canvases- as troubled as our passed might be they shape who we are. What if an inspirational like Malala had her mind wiped, who would have showed the world how to fight and done it for the girls. Education fighter gone! I can see the appeal of ridding society of the evil minds who take innocent people lives and do some heart breaking things. However, I can't say I'd be for it so much.
Please read this book! It's a sci-fi fantastic with a dynamic dystopian element. 5/5!! Mindwalker follow up...yes please, ready and waiting for 2016 eagerly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
This review was first published on the Guardian's Children's Book site:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram