Book Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Friday, December 18, 2015

Before I begin I'd just like to point out that I will be using a fictional name for my college librarian, just because I did use Elly Higgenbottom for my English Lit teacher, so she is Belle (as in Belle from Once Upon A Time). Anyway, Belle is lets just go with rather big fan of Patrick Ness and really, really encouraged me to read some Patrick Ness. Over the October half term I read The Knife of Never Letting Go, first book in the Chaos Walking Trilogy- it was SOOOO worth it.
I admit at first I didn't quite understand what was going on, I felt a bit confused but being only a few pages in I couldn't bring myself to give in (yeah if you're one of them people how can you do that?!). Maybe it was because of my knowledge with dystopian fiction of the Hunger Games etc. since it's rather limited; when I understood this whole concept with the 'noise' and the fact basically animals can speak I was alright yet still a bit unsure. The noise issue got me though, it's just the fact that sometimes I get really frustrated when my own mind is too chaotic so I could only imagine myself in the New World. Idea being, imagine me (blonde, loud, ditsy, small, humorous girl) stomping round in a huff probably with steam raging from my ears shouting 'SHUT UP' for all to hear. What's worse is that women can only hear men and boys. Ew. Just ew. I'd never wish to hear a boys thoughts anyway but having no choice...what horror!
Todd is our protagonist and I have to say I was quite fond of him, he grows on the reader as the story progresses I think especially near the end because guys the feels with him and Viola. Major cuteness on a scale of like 1 to 10...10. Todd can come across as rude sometimes but what can you expect when he's lived such a sheltered life in Prentisstown, considering his only friend was his dog Manchee too since all the rest of the boys had become men (don't ask). He's generally just a lovely character I think who struggles to come to term with what he believes in and has been taught since he was a kid and the actual truth that's been kept from him.
I don't want to give loads away because in this book you have everything explained to you by the end of the book unlike say The Hunger Games or Divergent where it only becomes clear in the last book. But Aaron is the most scariest character I've ever come across. Sorry, in what world (new world obviously) can you actually get you're face practically eaten by a crocodile, nose bitten off and still follow kids miles and miles!
I'm in love with this book because I was so fed up of picking up a dystopian novel and sort of expecting what would happen. Patrick Ness has done a phenomenal job with this book it's just so unexpected and challenging and refreshing! The fact it's left on a cliff-hanger also really intrigues me. Patrick Ness is just the dystopian legend to be quite honest, I can't wait to read more. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was first published on the Guardian Children's Book site:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram