Film Review: Blade Runner 2049

Tuesday, October 24, 2017



Have you watched this film? I recommend you do, although make sure you've watched the first- you got to if you want to understand...you get me?

Anyway, if you have no clue and you're just reading this for the something to do, here's some context.

The original Blade Runner was released in 1982 and directed by Ridley Scott, the films set in 2019 and was pretty out there with its predictions (if you ask me). Anyway, the film stars Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard, a 'Blade Runner' who has to hunt down the replicants...

Blade Runners- people assigned to assassinate replicants.

Replicants- androids that look like real human beings.

...basically four replicants commit some bloody crimes and Deckard is brought out of retirement to track down the androids. Blade Runner, of course, has a lil love problem when Deckard low key falls for a replicant and certain points imply to the audience that Deckard himself is a replicant. I did write a blog post on it a while ago which you can read if you click...THIS (more in depth).

So, I'm going to refer to this new follow up as 2049, for ease. In 2049 you do get my little love, Harrison Ford, back again and one of my holy grail man crushes...Ryan Gosling. I kind of forgot that Gosling was in this new film, to be honest, I didn't plan to go see it- spur of the moment, you know.

The cast of a film is something that can really influence the audience, 2049 has a cast that I was mostly unfamiliar with besides Gosling, Ford, Jared Leto and Robin Wright. For me, it worked, I liked not focusing so much on the actors and just getting in to the film world.  Although, will say Jared Leto creeped me out intensely and I was a little distracted by Ryan Gosling (no surprise).

For me, the star of the film was most definitely Gosling as K. 2049 is the first thing I've watched him in since Lalaland in January, which is a bit different to this. It was always going to be hard to compete with that, partly because I'm still very much in awe of Lalaland and everything about it. Alas, he's done it, I like him more, I LOVE him more. This film definitely shows how versatile he is as an actor to go from one end of the spectrum to the other, well done pal.

Harrison Ford is simply Harrison Ford. How can you not love him? Do feel that his role as Deckard was, in some aspects, comic relief- I can overlook. Plus, K and Deckard seem so similar, one necessary factor for the narrative of the film. Still can't figure out whether I prefer young Harrison or Gosling, there's something for you to ponder.

In terms of character, K is one that I like. We see some of his backstory, he has depth to him which is always enjoyable and he's lonely- which adds a little bit more to his story and how much we all like him more than maybe we should. Deckard is still Deckard. Leto plays Wallace (aka the new Tyrell) and is creepy af, he makes fake people, kills them and has no iris- his eyes are just white and it's weird. Leto's performance in the film is something that did leave me disappointed, partly because he's on the poster yet has like four scenes, if that....just meh.

A change in director can be make or break for a piece of cinema, particularly with something as risky as a sequel, let alone one to a film released 35 years prior. However, Villeneuve has been responsible for some popular films- Arrival, Prisoner, Sicario etc. I haven't seen Arrival, but I know a lot of people enjoyed it and that it has got some similar themes to the ones we see in Blade Runner. Villeneuve said himself that he was aware of the immense pressure he was under, the original has some hardcore fans that probably viewed the prospect of a new film terrifying- some sequels have been utterly disastrous. Film is an art and with art you have to take risks, this is what Villeneuve did and it worked out pretty well. 2049 has a fluency to it, a cohesion that links back to Blade Runner; it has some nostalgic feels, some cool new twists...I love it.

One thing I wanted to mention was the narrative. I'll admit that throughout the whole first half I thought that the plot was so predictable but then, we get to into the peak and bang I was surprised. Will say, the little twist made me slightly sad for K, these things happen.

If I was to say anything, it is more visually impressive than anything else. Don't get me wrong the narrative is interesting, the characters are cool, the scores wonderful but there's just something about it that left me a little underwhelmed? I don't know, it's probably just that nothing could of beaten Blade Runner.

Having said that, I'd recommend going to watch this film, only if you've watched the first. I can't imagine it making much sense without the context and the familiarity.


            


You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram