Book Review: Everything Everything

Thursday, March 23, 2017





I'm sure you've all heard about this book, if you haven't then you've most likely seen the upcoming film trailer floating round Facebook. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about and now I give you insight because I finished the book a couple of days ago- I'm low key obsessed!

Everything Everything tells the story of Madeline Whittier, Maddy for short. Maddy is sick, she hasn't left her house for seventeen years because she's allergic to everything. Olly is the boy who moves next door, he wants more than to see Maddy through only her bedroom window. Everything Everything is about the crazy things we'd do for love and the risks we'd take.

What will you get from this book? Tears. I cried reading this SO MUCH. Maddy has only just turned eighteen in the book and I've only just turned nineteen, for me it was heartbreaking because Maddy had no real friends and mine are everything to me. She's got no freedom to do anything I can do day to day, she's a prisoner in her home yet she doesn't realise this because she knows no different. If anything this book is a symbol of inner strength to me, I can't imagine staying in my house all day everyday for years and years- it takes someone with a lot of hope and belief.

Olly, let's talk about Olly. He changes Maddy's life, literally. I bet he thought he'd move to California and have a pretty simple life and then everything changed, for me I think he knew straight away that Maddy was more than just a girl. She helped him have a new lease on life, appreciate the world he took for granted. It's super cute how he knows Maddy for such a short space of time and is fascinated with her and not the illness; I think it's important to emphasise that point, of course Olly was worried about her but to him she was just Maddy, Mad, the girl he loved. He goes above and beyond to make Maddy feel normal, loved, accepted. Whilst he's doing all this, he's got his own problems at home and his sister and mum to worry about but he doesn't let this effect his relationship. It's clear the Olly has a lot of compassion and a lot of love, he uses it all on other people and luckily Maddy gives all hers to him.

This is basically a post with me gushing about Maddy. When we first meet her she's so upbeat and positive although she's never been outside, what I think is worse is one large room in her house is glass so it gives the effect of being free. I couldn't cope with this, there's nothing written in the book about Maddy being depressed or lonely (at first) and I can't understand this. Olly becomes her companion, she wants to spend every minute of every day with him and this is when she truly feels alone- I presume because she's never known anyone other than Carla (her nurse), her mum and the teachers she has never met in person! Read this book and you'll have such a high regard for Maddy- I know I keep going on about it but it's true. What I love most, is being with Maddy whilst she discovers what love feels like for the very first time. She immediately has strong feelings for Olly that makes her gravitate towards him, some may say this is the effect of never being round boys and really having contact with Olly, I disagree. The first time they kiss Maddy asks 'Is it always like that?' to which Olly replies 'No, it's never like that' and then she writes how everything has changed. A chemistry that's so strong, Maddy puts herself endanger to live a life with Olly. Just beautiful.

Besides these two, the only really important characters are Maddy's mum and Carla. Maddy's mum play an important part in the narrative, from about mid-way through the book it's evident that something isn't right. I mean if Maddy's that ill you'd think she'd put her foot out the door and she'd collapse, also this isn't giving anything away if you watch the trailer. Without going into too much detail we later realise that Maddy's mum isn't as perfect as she seems.

Nicola Yoon has gone above and beyond in this extraordinary debut novel. Her writing flows in such a way that you end up reading hundred pages like it's ten, you can't put this book down and if you do you're thinking about picking it back up. Everything Everything is just a stunning read, we're reading Maddy's point of view so we identify with her immediately. Also, have to point out the cover which is so beaut! Cannot recommend this highly enough, read read read!!!!!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram