Book Review: Dreamland by Robert L. Anderson

Friday, March 10, 2017





It's been a long time since I've done one of these, I'm trying to get back into reading and this book really helped me. I got sent Dreamland a couple of years ago when I still wrote for the Guardian's Children's Book Site, it's a pre-published copy and obviously now it's published but I never got round to reading it. After finishing my previous book, I decided that I was going to give it a go and no lie I'm a bit obsessed. I read so much of it in two days and that was only because I was busy, it's such a unique story and it intrigues me a lot! I've had dreams about it and I just can't get it off my mind, plus it's quite unknown and I just thought it deserved a little praise.

Dreamland is a story about Dea, who's been able to walk people's dreams since she was six years old. Her mother taught her three important rules that must always be followed when walking a dream: Never interfere. Never be seen. Never walk the same persons dream more than once. Dea never once thinks about breaking the rules, never questioned her mother on the mirrors or clocks, not about moving from state to state, not about anything. 

Until one day, the mysterious Connor moves to town. As Connor gets close Dea he begins to break down the barrier she's built up for so long and with this he gets closer to learning her secret. She can't help but walk his dreams and for the first time she wonders whether breaking the rules would be so bad. When she does, the boundary between worlds begins to deteriorate and she questions how she can know what's real and what's not.

I'm going to start off with characters because I was really drawn to Dea. She hasn't had an easy life and though we never get to know how old she is, I think she and Connor are both around sixteen/seventeen- they can both drive and they are quite mature. What I like about Dea, is that she knows she's not popular and that people don't want to be her friend; the only reason being they think she's weird. Throughout the book we see Dea evolve, at the beginning she's quite tame and never questions anything her mother says. Then when Connor comes into the picture, she becomes more confident and I'd definitely say she begins to find herself and finally feels as though in some way she fits in. Especially, nearing the end of the book it's evident that she's super brave and quite smart, for a period of time she's moved to a mental ward and she picks up on little details to keep herself alert; the shift change, roughly the day etc. Dea symbolises inner strength, she goes through so much physically and mentally but continuously comes out of situations and fights back- she's a strong, independent girl. 

Moving on to Connor, he's chilled and doesn't take things to seriously which is so great when you find out what has happened to him in the past. Like Dea, he has a secret and he struggles with it immensely and I feel as though meeting Dea really helped him to accept his past. What happened to him and his family was a tragic yet very cruel act of violence, Connor hides it as much as he can but he definitely has built walls just like Dea. In my mind, Connor didn't expect much would happen once he'd moved to Fielding (Dea's town) but his world is turned upside down. I admire him because even when he's completely unsure about Dea, he always sticks by her even though his discovery of her secret may frighten him a little. 

The relationship between both is obvious, like their chemistry. Their accidental first meeting is strange, Dea finds Connor swimming naked in the little body of water by her house, it made me laugh and it just goes to show what something unexpected can turn into. They hit it off pretty much straight away and become close very quickly; however, they don't kiss until pretty late in the book- patience is the key. They both feel strongly for each other, Dea admits she loves him after their argument (I think) and although Connor doesn't until late in the book, it's obvious. It's a big first love, especially when you're reading about the way he looks at her and how when he smiles she just feels happy etc etc. I love it.

Dream walking itself. What is it? Well, Dea would steal an object that has meaning to whoever's dream she wants to walk and then as she falls asleep concentrating on said object she crosses the transition into that persons dream. When you think about it, it's quite simple and I suppose it stays that way if you follow the rules. The whole story is pretty linear, everything begins to escalate after Dea and her mother have a fight, then her mother goes missing. This is where lies start to unravel, the situation goes crazy and Dea and Connor's relationship starts to crumble.

I'd say, personally, as I was reading the book, near the end I could guess what was going to happen. Especially when it came to certain people and their actions, however the actual ending of Dreamland shook me! There's one part where you know what Dea is going to do but it's unexpected because of the way her thought and feelings are written in previous chapters.

Wishing that a follow up book was released. I want to know what happens to Dea and Connor's future and how they'll progress together and individually. It's like Mindwalker all over again!

Want something a bit different, I'd suggest this but it's suitable if you're a classic fantasy fan. Honestly, I was only a little disappointed by the ending- kinda like Lalaland which I adore.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram