Film Club: The Big Sleep

Thursday, October 06, 2016






Here I am back again, let's get straight into this! Nick chose The Big Sleep this week, a black and white film that was released in 1946. Now, I've never really watched black and white films (unless you count the first fifteen minutes of The Wizard of Oz) but I've always wanted to have a watch. The Big Sleep stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, on screen their chemistry is obvious. It's amusing, their characters don't seem to be that fond of each other it looks very hot and cold, for me sometimes a little awkward- it's all just flirting. They were lovers for a number of years I believe, never married just partners- they did star in various other films together such as; To Have and Have Not (1944), Dark Passage (1947), Key Largo (1948).

Moving on, so The Big Sleep was directed by Howard Hawks who's directed a number of classic films- go take a look on IMDB you'll find out. He was a film maker who's true quality was appreciated more or less after his work, over his forty year career he was only nominated for an oscar once. In his time he was a great man of his trade (arguably is still remembered as a legend) who could churn out commercially pleasing pictures. After reading about Hawks and his works, it seems to me he wasn't trying playing a game or attempting to change it up, he said himself that when you find a thing that works there's no need to change it. 

The film is multi genre- crime, mystery, thriller, film noir. Film noir is a style of cinematographic film that is marked by a specific mood. The term is derived from a group of French film critics, I think it's quite a cool name. I did French in school and I think that it translates as film black or black film. It sounds you'd be watching a bunch of seedy, dark, depressing film which they're not. 

Let's move to the focus of the post, The Big Sleep. Our storyline is led by Private Detective Philip Marlowe (any of you lit fans out their- Christopher Marlowe- Faustus),played by Bogart, is hired by a rich General to help sort out the problems caused by his youngest daughter Carmen. Marlowe is stopped before he leaves by the General's elder daughter Vivian who suspects that everything's not as it seems. Marlowe doesn't reveal anything, from this he goes on to try to investigate to shed light on the case. From this point on the situation becomes increasingly dangerous and confusing. Marlowe finds not only the killer, love too.

After we finished The Big Sleep, I realised I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll be honest that surprised me. I struggle to really focus on things, I'm the girl who's watched the first season of Game of Thrones at least five time, my sister doesn't think I can watch Poldark because I can't concentrate. My fear was that because it was in black and white I'd lose interest, yes I take film studies but sometimes things just aren't your cup of tea. What struck me about the film was probably the relationship between Vivian and Marlowe as well as the whole murder element. Their undeniable chemistry catches you off guard, I found this because it was on and off like a light switch, from their first scene together anyone could tell there'd be a connection. It was hot and cold, at one point I thought Vivian was on the dark side.

Bacall really intrigued me as an actress, I'd never heard of her before watching the film. There's something about her and the way she acts that sticks out. Her voice, so rich and elegant. The way she walks, talks, dresses and styles her hair screams to me classic film star. Humphrey Bogart, I'd heard of. His characters lack of emotion amused me, when I say this I don't think he walked round with a face stiff as cardboard for what 90 minutes. He just doesn't show everything he feels on his face, which I like- it provides a sense of mystery and constantly leaves the audience wondering what's going on in his mind.

Carmen was the character I hated most, what a child. She kills someone for not paying her enough attention, like come on girl get a grip. I like people to listen to me but I don't push them off the college balcony or shoot them. Be a strong, independent woman, FEMALE POWER. Besides Vivian women come off a bit well I'm gonna say needy in this film. Take that book shop lady at the beginning, shutting the blinds and getting ready to pounce on Marlowe, then we have Carmen who I shall not talk anymore about.

The black and white makes this film more simplistic and more complex. What I mean is, it doesn't rely on CGI or lots of hi-tech stuff, just the essentials. The complex comes from the fact that, they have to convey a story and for people now (not so much back in the day) who aren't used to no colour it's boring or harder to watch. As well as the fact everything back then was much more tender, you get me. No sex on the screen etc etc. Not that you need that for a great film, on pages okay but not for the camera. The chemistry has to be conveyed and stay PG, I think the directors have an easier job today- no offence.

Overall, The Big Sleep- well it's opened my eyes. Encouraged me to  attempt to broaden my horizons to watch all those classics everyone talks about. Be in the know, maybe even have a gander at world cinema. Definitely watching more Bogart and Bacall! Well that's it for the week friends, you'll here from me soon.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram