Film Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Sunday, October 09, 2016






Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children, I was skeptical - I've never read the books, there was just something that made me question whether I actually wanted to see it. However, despite my reservations, I absolutely adored this film. Another incredibly amazing film from Tim Burton and the actors were fantastic, with no further waffling let's get straight into this review.

This film was based on a series of books by Ransom Riggs (yes that's his real name) published in 2011. I remember first seeing the covers, wow, I was scared out of my mind. They just looked hella bizarre, I'd never seen them until we got them in the college library; I never read them because I was apprehensive about what I'd think. Tim Burton obviously loved the books, partly due to their not so normal narrative. I mean look at all the films he's produced or directed; The Corpse Bride (2005), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Sweeney Todd (2007),  Beetlejuice (1988) etc, etc.  Burton did aim to use as little visual effects as possible, which again was a surprise to me. Personally, I find his films are like marmite- you love it or you hate it. This film I loved, it's a firm fave of the year!

If you've never read the books or simply haven't really paid much attention to the film, here's a bit of detail. Jacob (Asa Butterfield) discovers clues to a mystery that leads back to 1943 and the previous life of his Grandfather, it leads him to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. After he learns about his special power he finds out that danger is near and his 'peculiarity' can save them all from a villain in  the form of Samuel L. Jackson. It's quite thematic- I'd say romance, relationships, loss and self discovery. It's definitely a family drama, it's funny and lighthearted whilst still being able to convey a lot of meaning.

Let's stop and talk about the star in this movie for me, Asa Butterfield. Oh my, I'm obsessed. His performance was so genuine, you know what I mean? You could identify with him easily, you root for him all the way through. What's really nice about Asa, in a sense we've seen him mature through his acting career. From the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008), Hugo (2011), Enders Game (2013) and now Miss Peregrine he's changed so much and is still only nineteen. At the point in the beginning when his Grandfather died I sobbed, I think if you lose anyone you can empathize- especially if you've lost a grandparent. Just such a great performance, it did amuse me how awkward Jacob's romance with Emma is so awkward. He just doesn't know what to do, which is believable because a lot of teenagers don't with their first love/crush whatever you want to call it.

Besides Asa, the child actors were surprisingly good. I mean it won't be like Stranger Things, everyone's praising those kids left, right and center. The majority of them were older, the best were younger; the two twins (who turn you into stone), Bronwin (she's like eight and can lift anything), Claire (has a mouth in the back of her head) it was just insane. Eva Green as usual was fantastic, I remember the first time watching her in the series Camelot, I've always thought she was quite scary. In this film I thought she was tremendous as Miss Peregrine, bit weird at certain points although it is a weird film overall to be fair. I couldn't applaud the casting of this film anymore if I tried.

Finally, the miss en scene. The house that the children and Miss Peregrine lived in was something out of dreams, even though we were told the house was in Wales you'd actually find it in Antwerp, Belgium. Some of the film was shot in Blackpool to, which is quite close to home for me. It just made me want to be a peculiar, be in the loop. The costumes where so fitting for the various time frames too, everything I just adored.

I'd give this film a thumbs up, I didn't really know what I was in for. For sure I'll read the books soon, expect the reviews. I cannot stress how much I love this film. Please go and watch it guys!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram