Film Club: Shawshank Redemption

Wednesday, September 21, 2016




In film club for our Wednesday afternoon 'experiences' we watched Shawshank Redemption over a period of two weeks.  Just before I begin I'm just gonna put it out there, this is not an analysis of the film- meaning no shot types, nothing about mise en scene etc. Only my thoughts. Now even though Shawshank is known as a classic film I've never watched it, I don't really know why.

Here's a bit of background, when Shawshank was released it wasn't overly popular it was just another film, but suddenly it became widely popular. It's number one on IMDB's 'Top Rated Movies' list with Godfather (which I've also never watched) coming second. It was directed by Frank Darabont (The Green Mile, The Majestic) and was based on Stephen King's novel 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption', released in 1994.

The narrative is quite simple really, Red (Morgan Freeman) and Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) bond over the years they are imprisoned, finding comfort and even redemption through acts of kindness and I would say friendship too. Throughout the film Red recounts their story as it goes along.

Andy Dufresne was accused of murdering his wife and her lover in a drunken rage, the opening of Shawshank lets the audience know this through a replay of events as Andy stands trial. I won't lie I was convinced that he killed them both, during the trial I found Andy to have no genuine sense of guilt or remorse, which doesn't allow audiences to identify with the character! Thankfully, I was proved wrong later in the film. So long story short- Andy is found guilty and given a two life sentences in Shawshank prison. Throughout he beginning of his sentences he found it incredibly hard to settle,  what I found surprising is that I had a lot of empathy even though a lot I haven't been in Andy's situation; equally I've been in an uncomfortable situation before,like we all have, we feel as though we don't fit in.

What I did find fascinating was the fact that Red and all his friends found the entrance of new prisoners almost like a horse race really, betting on who would break first. Now even though I don't know what goes on within prison walls, you could definitely picture this happening; I mean for prisoners who've been in there for most of their lives and see people come in and out all the time it would be expected.

One element of the film that did shock me was the violence towards the prisoners,  of course it was unnecessary, of course it has gone on (I'd like to say has because I hope it doesn't now) but I just didn't expect such harsh beatings. Also, what is the pit. Why? If you didn't think having a life sentence is enough just behave badly and they'll stick you in a dingy, dark hole for however long you deserve to be in there.

Let's move on to one of my favourite characters Brooks. Oh my goodness, he tugged at my heart strings. I love old people, so for me Brooks was the cutest thing ever. He get's more brownie points as he looks after the books, as a book lover myself I'm all for it. If it had't been for Brooks our Andy would never have escaped laundry (which we'll move onto in a moment). Brooks helping the bird just echoed what happened in Shawshank, I think the board expects the prisoners to be rehabilitated whereas actually they mature and grow. The majority arrived when they were young and stupid, never having the opportunity to have a family or career. Just like Red said, if he could he'd go back, talk to his younger self and not make the mistakes he did. Anyway, Brooks, oh how it broke my heart when he died; on the outside we don't view prison as a home but Brooks death just reinforces the concept that maybe it is. In a dysfunctional sort of way, those who have been there for a long period of time don't know how to cope in the outside world; without friends or the routine.

If I didn't mention this, Andy is a banker. In the scene when Andy and the gang are on the roof, when he hears Heywood talking about his money problems and from that point on Andy basically becomes Shawshank's personal banker, money advisor etc. Eventually things get out of hand as the Warden asks Andy to help with his money laundering scheme, the whole idea is quite bizarre but it works in terms of storyline and plot.

I think one of the stand out features of Shawshank is no doubt Andy's escape. You just don't expect it at all, we all remember that Andy asked Red to get him that mini pick axe thing to do whatever he felt like doing. At the back of my mind, I did have my suspicions about the escape plan but I honestly couldn't figure out where Andy had gotten to. Then of course the posters, oh those pretty posters to keep Andy feel a tad more normal, hid his little secret. That escape route was horrendous, hands down would never be doing that, no way. Then of course the audience just want Red to finally be approved.

My favourite aspect of the film was Andy and Red's growing friendship, to think how far they'd come since Andy arrived. When Red was released it was a bit emotional, being put in the same room where Brooks died and working the same job. The oak tree was incredibly moving, Andy obviously wanted Red to come and create a life with him in sunny Mexico. That friendship is so strong it honestly hurts my heart, a friendship that developed in a time of struggle, need and the search for companionship.

Personally, I loved Shawshank Redemption, I think it's an inspiring story that makes us contemplate the things we have. It contains themes of friendship, hope, injustice, secrets, transformation and many more. Andy sticks to his innocence throughout and then finally we have reason to believe he's not a cold blooded killer, he stands his ground and never wavers. I can now understand why Shawshank is classed as a modern classic, Shawshank is one of the most thematically rich films I've ever seen. It tells us if we try hard enough we can go a long way if we don't let anyone define us. 22 years on the strengths of the film is conveyed through it's popularity to this day. If you've got an 144 minutes to spare, I recommend a watch.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram